At times, because of excavation work, cables, water pipes and gas pipes may get damaged or disrupted. When such work is not done with precaution, it may end up lethal accidents, such as release of gas, electricity shocks, burns and outburst. Due to the volatile effects of a few things people may have to undergo dangerous injuries. An excavator may undergo brutal injuries if they end up mistakenly trampling or cutting a gas pile or electric cable wires.
This is why it is always advised to hire experts when it comes to mapping underground utilities. Not only would they carry necessary tools and devices, such as underground pipe locator, to carry on with the work, but they will also speed up the process of the project. No longer would they have to dig in cautiously and much time would be saved. It is always better to work towards preventing an issue rather than handling its after effects. With the use of advanced tools and techniques you will be able to localize and identify the impending problem on time.
If you have dealing with underground assets, do follow the points listed below. The tips will help you stay safe and secure and even the assets will remain harmless.
Finding the underground asset
You have to ensure that you have located all the underground assets before you have even started with the excavation work. The points listed below will help you to move ahead securely as the process progresses.
Understand Dial-Before-You-Dig and the Site Plans:
- Dial-Before-You-Dig is a free service provided by the national community. Here you get the comprehensive detail about how the underground piles and cables are located pertaining to the different companies that are located in Australia.
- You may not find all the information about Australia’s underground asset owners. You need to keep this in mind because not all the Australian owners are members of Dial-Before-You-Dig.
- You should always inquire about the plans accuracy before you start the excavation process. You need to ensure that everything has been located safely for authentication.
- Most of the times cables get covered between 450mm and 1000mm. It is possible that the soil is removed in due course of time from above the assets. This is why never presume that the pipes and the cables will be in the same position and depth as it was some years back.
- Dial-Before-You-Dig also offers you with the information and numbers of the infrastructure owners. The workers will help and provide you with additional information if required if work is going to start near their underground networks.
Examine and detect the area where the pipes and cable lines are located
Make sure that you take help of a certified underground asset location company as they would find the underground assets for you. If you are using your very own locating equipment, make sure that the operators are taught before hand as how to use the device and tools. They should also stay cautious and aware of the restrictions.
Also double check and make sure that the devices are finely tuned and competent so that it can trace where the pipes and wires are located. In case there is no power flow, it is possible that the device will not be able to spot an electric cable. It would also not be capable of tracing non-metallic pipes.
Use a test hole to examine the location or area
Make sure that you use a test hole after tracing the location. This way you will understand where the precise location and depth of the asset is. Even though it’s considered secure to utilise an insulated hand tool, ensure that necessary precaution is taken to avoid unnecessary accidents at your house.