The electrical items in our homes may make our lives far easier and more comfortable, but they can also be a cause of untold damage if we don’t maintain them safely. While some of these tips may seem simple, it’s essential that the whole family understand the basics of electrical safety practices if you want your family and home to be kept out of harm’s way. Make sure you’re aware of these important safety tips and you should be able to avoid unexpected danger.
- Don’t mess around with the wiring alone. Even if you’re an experienced DIY enthusiast, stay well away from any tasks around the house that involve electrical wiring. These tasks are only meant to be tackled by a trained professional, and a small mistake could lead to major injury or even death. Call in domestic electrician freemantle for any electrical emergencies instead of trying to take it on by yourself – the benefits of investing in professional support will far outweigh the risk of going it alone.
- Protect your family from wires and outlets. This is especially important if you have little ones who could attempt to stick a finger into a plug outlet for fun. Use covering plugs to make it impossible for them to put themselves in danger, and make sure any loose cords are curled up and clipped or tucked under a board if necessary to avoid the possibility of someone tripping and hurting themselves. These things may sound over-protective, but these types of accidents happen far more than you might expect.
- Don’t overload your extension outlets. Extension outlets can certainly come in handy when you don’t have enough outlets in your home, but they’re also a major cause of fire hazards. Limit the number of devices that you plug into your extension cord – try to only plug in what’s truly necessary. When you go to bed at night, remember to unplug the devices and switch off the plug so you’re not putting your home at risk of unexpected danger.
- Don’t ignore sparks. If you’re using an old electrical appliance (or a new one) and it does something unusual like giving off a spark, emitting unusual smoke, or shocking you in even a minor way, switch it off at the wall, unplug it, and get it checked out by a qualified electrician. Don’t just assume that nothing will go wrong. These kinds of warning signs are usually there to tell us that something is wrong with the wiring in the appliance and that it needs immediate attention.
- Keep your cords safe. Cords should be stored in a place that keeps them safe from any kind of damage. That means that they shouldn’t be near any heating source (like a radiator) or in any area that may get wet. This may mean moving your kettle or a toaster to a different spot in the kitchen, but it’s worth shifting things around to reduce your chances of electrical damage at home.
- Unplug things correctly. No matter how much of a hurry you’re in, you should always take the time to unplug your electrical appliances or cords safely. This means pulling while holding the plug firmly, not yanking at the cord. A damaged cord can lead to serious electrical hazards.